Sony 135 f/1.8 GM Lens SEL135F18GM Review Rundown
Sony Electronics | Published on 20 Mar 2021 | Last Edited on 06 Jun 2021 | Written by Dr Jiulin Teng w/ Neosummarizer
The Sony 1.8/135 GM is a highly anticipated lens that has been rumored for some time. The lens has all the features of current high end Sony lenses. It is exceptionally sharp wide open and focuses as fast as is imaginable in a lens like this. Portrait and wedding photographers will also love this lens as it is very reliable and versatile.
This rundown provides our analysis on 8 third-party reviews. The sentiment scores, summaries, and key takeaways that we select are based on these reviews and may differ from the original publication.
Price Comparison (incl. referral links)
Reviewers from Phillipreeve have found the following[***]:
The Sony 1.8/135 GM is a highly anticipated lens that has been rumored for some time. From f1.8 to diffraction limit, this lens performs exactely the same (on my A7iii) with the exception of vignetting wide open. This is the cheapest way to get a fast 135mm lens with autofocus.
Reviewers from Sonyalpha have found the following[***]:
Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM is a new jewel in the GM serie, it will produce excellent results in Outdoor portraits, sports, weddings, street photography. Outstanding sharpness wide open from centre to corner Blazingly fast and accurate AF Reasonable size and weight Excellent color rendition Very smooth background blur Very good Bokeh Balls Clickless aperture for video distance of 70cm.
Reviewers from Pcmag have found the following[***]:
The Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM ($2,099.99) is another entry in the company's top-end line of lenses. Its focal length makes it a bit of a specialized tool for portraiture, but it also gets quite close for macro shots. The lens uses dual focusing groups, each driven by its own motor.
Reviewers from Techradar have found the following[***]:
The FE 135mm f/1.8 GM is the ninth addition to Sony's premium G Master series. It features a new design that makes use of a Super ED element towards the front and ED glass behind this, both helping to keep chromatic aberration to a minimum. There's no optical image stabilization in the lens itself, but there's little need for this when you consider that Sony's current Alpha cameras feature their own SteadyShot systems.
- 1. ^ Review: Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM. Phillipreeve. 2019-04-21. Retrieved 2021-03-15.
- 2. ^ Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM. Sonyalpha. 2019-04-22. Retrieved 2021-06-06.
- 3. ^ Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Review. Pcmag. 2019-11-11. Retrieved 2021-03-07.
- 4. ^ Hands on: Sony FE 135mm f/1.8 GM review. Techradar. 2019-02-28. Retrieved 2021-03-07.
- *. Neoscore is our sentiment analyzer based on natural language processing (NLP). Scaled in the range of 0 to 100, Neoscore eliminates scoring biases from each publisher; it likely differs from the publisher's own rating, if available, as a result.
- **. Neoanalyzer is our summarizer based on NLP. It identifies key takeaways from each third-party review. The takeaways that it produces likely differ from the publisher's own bullets points, if available, as a result.
- ***. Neosummarizer is based on NLP. It extracts summaries from third-party reviews. It likely that these summaries differ from the publisher's own, if available.