Sennheiser AMBEO Review Rundown
Sennheiser | Published on 21 Mar 2021 | Last Edited on 27 Apr 2021 | Written by Dr Jiulin Teng w/ Neosummarizer
Sennheiser Ambeo soundbar is a cutting-edge sound bar with features such as Dolby Atmos/DTS:X, HDMI 2.1, and Wi-Fi streaming support. It's the latest sound bar to simulate Atmos surround from a single bar, joining the league of Yamaha YSP-5600 and Sony HT-ST500. Sounding more like a gaming console than a soundbar, the music seems to say, "This isn't just a sound bar, it's a surround sound entertainment system".
This rundown provides our analysis on 8 third-party reviews. The sentiment scores, summaries, and key takeaways that we select are based on these reviews and may differ from the original publication.
Price Comparison (incl. referral links)
Reviewers from Cnet have found the following[***]:
The Sennheiser Ambeo sound bar costs $2,500, £2,220, AU$4,000. It has 13 high-end drivers firing from the front, sides and top of the unit. It's a tall unit at 5.3 inches high, and 50 inches wide, which means it won't fit under TVs.
Reviewers from Digitaltrends have found the following[***]:
Sennheiser's $2,500 Ambeo soundbar is the first Dolby Atmos soundbar ever created. The bar's full-sized speakers reproduce real, authentic sound for both music and film. It's the most luxurious and impressive way to source virtual surround sound from a single bar.
Reviewers from Expertreviews have found the following[***]:
Sennheiser's Ambeo soundbar has full support for Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and MPEG-H 3D. At its core, the bar has nine drivers facing forward, with a further two on the sides and another two at the top. Unlike its rivals, it doesn't come with a subwoofer or rear-facing speakers.
Reviewers from Hifichoice have found the following[***]:
Sennheiser's Ambeo soundbar is the girder-grade Irn-Bru of soundbars. It boasts dimensions and weight that have more in common with a mid-sized floorstander. It's so large and heavy because, unlike most soundbars that use tiny drivers to keep the bar slim and a separate subwoofer to augment bass performance. The intention is to take the fight to multi-speaker setups for Atmos-enhanced 3D sound quality.
Reviewers from Pcmag have found the following[***]:
Sennheiser's $2,499.95 Ambeo Soundbar has 13 drivers, 5.1.4 audio, and no need for surround speakers. The sound quality is top-notch and the immersive audio modes are impressive. The speaker supports Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, and MPEG-H. But we'd still like to see a dedicated subwoofer.
Reviewers from Rtings have found the following[***]:
The Sennheiser AMBEO soundbar is a 5.1.4 setup with 13 speakers. It has a unique 3D mode that greatly improves the surround performance, which is great for movies. While the bar still produces a good amount of bass, it's audibly lower than other frequencies at the same volume. This soundbar supports Atmos, but has sub-par performance due to the up-firing speakers located on the bar.
Reviewers from Techhive have found the following[***]:
Sennheiser's Ambeo Soundbar claims to reproduce a virtual 5.1.4 immersive soundfield. The soundbar is massive, measuring about 50x5x7 inches (WxHxD) and weighing almost 41 pounds. Physical inputs on the back include three HDMI 2.0a ports (18Gbps) and one ethernet port.
Reviewers from Techradar have found the following[***]:
Sennheiser's new Ambeo Soundbar costs $2500 (£2200 / AU$3,999) It's packed with the latest audio technologies, including Dolby Atmos and DTS:X for surroundsound audio. It weighs a full 18.5kg (around 40 pounds) and measures 126.5cm wide, 13.5 cm high and 17cm deep.
Reviewers from Trustedreviews have found the following[***]:
Sennheiser's Ambeo soundbar is a 5.1.4 listening experience with no need for additional rear speakers or a separate subwoofer. Two Dolby Atmos enabled drivers look skyward, while side-firing cones aim at a nearby walls to bounce their sound. Inputs include three HDMI (v2.0a), one HDMI out (capable of eARC, with Dolby Vision HDR support), digital optical audio and aux-in.
Reviewers from Whathifi have found the following[***]:
The Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar is much bigger than most products of its type. It bounces sound off your room's walls and ceiling to create surround and Atmos effects. It has four HDMI sockets, three of which are standard inputs, and one of which is marked ‘TV’ It also supports Bluetooth 4.2 and Chromecast, making streaming options almost endless.
- 1. ^ Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar review: The best Atmos sound, bar none. Cnet. 2019-06-28. Retrieved 2021-03-07.
- 2. ^ Sennheiser Ambeo soundbar review: Killer Atmos sound. Digitaltrends. 2019-08-29. Retrieved 2021-03-07.
- 3. ^ Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar review: Legendary sound. Expertreviews. 2019-08-12. Retrieved 2021-03-07.
- 4. ^ Sennheiser Ambeo. Hifichoice. 2020-03-25. Retrieved 2021-03-07.
- 5. ^ Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar Review. Pcmag. 2019-10-11. Retrieved 2021-03-07.
- 6. ^ Sennheiser AMBEO Soundbar Soundbar Review. Rtings. 2019-09-30. Retrieved 2021-03-07.
- 7. ^ Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar review: High-end sound for a high-end price. Techhive. 2020-04-24. Retrieved 2021-03-07.
- 8. ^ Sennheiser Ambeo 3D Soundbar review. Techradar. 2019-07-05. Retrieved 2021-03-07.
- 9. ^ Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar Review. Trustedreviews. 2019-09-11. Retrieved 2021-03-07.
- 10. ^ Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar review. Whathifi. 2020-07-13. Retrieved 2021-03-07.
- *. Neoscore is our sentiment analyzer based on natural language processing (NLP). Scaled in the range of 0 to 100, Neoscore eliminates scoring biases from each publisher; it likely differs from the publisher's own rating, if available, as a result.
- **. Neoanalyzer is our summarizer based on NLP. It identifies key takeaways from each third-party review. The takeaways that it produces likely differ from the publisher's own bullets points, if available, as a result.
- ***. Neosummarizer is based on NLP. It extracts summaries from third-party reviews. It likely that these summaries differ from the publisher's own, if available.