NVIDIA RTX 3080 Review Rundown
Nvidia's new RTX 30-series card is really the way to go if you want 4K gaming on ultra. Being a reference card, the RTX 3080 Founders Edition offers the performance of the new GPU without extra bells and whistles.
This rundown provides our analysis on 8 third-party reviews. The sentiment scores, summaries, and key takeaways that we select are based on these reviews and may differ from the original publication.
Price Comparison (incl. referral links)
Reviewers from Gizmodo have found the following[***]:
The RTX 3080 is Nvidia's newest flagship graphics card. It makes 4K gaming at 60 fps possible in a wide range of graphic-intensive games. The 3070 is not as big an improvement over the RTX 2080 Ti (even priced at $500) It's more powerful than even the most powerful consumer CPU can handle.
Reviewers from Digitaltrends have found the following[***]:
The Nvidia RTX 3080, along with the 3070 and 3090, use Nvidia's new Ampere microarchitecture. Until the RTX 3090 launches in a few weeks, it'll easily be the most powerful graphics card you can buy. You're better off saving some money and waiting for the GTX 3070 or inevitable RTX 3060.
Reviewers from Pcmag have found the following[***]:
The $699 Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition is the new king of 4K gaming. It features new architecture, a brand-new cooler, a revolutionary PCB design, and tons more compute cores. The visual design of the card is modern, elegant, and almost completely devoid of the kind of "gamerzzzz" accents.
The $699 GeForce RTX 3080 is Nvidia's latest flagship graphics card. It's significantly faster than the former $1,200 RTX 2080 Ti flagship. Ampere is built using Samsung's 8nm processor node, moving up from the TSMC 14nm and slightly modified 12nm nodes.
The Nixeus EDG34S comes in budget plastic casing with no adjustability features. It lacks many software features, but if you're just looking to game at a fast rate on an oh-so-immersive ultrawide screen. At 4K, the RTX 3080 performed up to a whopping 80 percent faster than its RTX 2080 predecessor.
The only real problem with Nvidia's new GeForce RTX 30-series laptops is its stunning desktop cousins. The mobile version steps back to 6,144 CUDA cores, either 16GB or 8GB of GDDR6 on a 256-bit bus. Dynamic Boost 2.0 can pretty much be supported by any RTX laptop, it's up to the laptop maker to enable it.
Reviewers from Techradar have found the following[***]:
The Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 is available on September 17, starting at $699 (£649, about AU$950) for the Founders Edition. The card is based on the new Nvidia Ampere graphics architecture, which brings huge improvements to both raw performance and power efficiency. This is the biggest generational leap in PC graphics we've seen in years – perhaps ever.
Reviewers from Tomshardware have found the following[***]:
Nvidia's GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition is here, claiming the top spot on our GPU benchmarks hierarchy. We're going to hold off on a final verdict for now, as we have other third-party GTX 3080 cards to review, which will begin as soon as tomorrow. The bottom line, if you don't mind spoilers, is that the RT 3080 FE is 33% faster than the RTX 2080 Ti, on average.
Reviewers from Trustedreviews have found the following[***]:
The Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 is the latest flagship GPU from tech powerhouse Nvidia. It's part of a wider 30-series family of cards that build on a number of the technologies debuted on the older Turing 20-series. Ray tracing allows for more realistic lighting and shadow effects, while also adding key things like reflections to games. The 3080 builds on this adding a few industry firsts and refinements from both a design and performance front.
- 1. ^ The Nvidia RTX 3080 Finally Makes 4K Gaming a Reality. Gizmodo. 16 September 2020. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 2. ^ Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 review: A bright future for PC gaming. Digitaltrends. 16 September 2020. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 3. ^ Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition Review. Pcmag. 16 September 2020. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 4. ^ Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition review: Staggeringly powerful. Pcworld. 16 September 2020. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 5. ^ Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080: 3440x1440 ultrawide benchmarks. Pcworld. 17 September 2020. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 6. ^ Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 mobile review: The fastest laptop GPU just arrived. Pcworld. 26 January 2021. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 7. ^ Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 review. Techradar. 24 February 2021. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 8. ^ Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition Review: A Huge Generational Leap in Performance. Tomshardware. 28 December 2020. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 9. ^ Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Review. Trustedreviews. 12 February 2021. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- *. Neoscore is our sentiment analyzer based on natural language processing (NLP). Scaled in the range of 0 to 100, Neoscore eliminates scoring biases from each publisher; it likely differs from the publisher's own rating, if available, as a result.
- **. Neoanalyzer is our summarizer based on NLP. It identifies key takeaways from each third-party review. The takeaways that it produces likely differ from the publisher's own bullets points, if available, as a result.
- ***. Neosummarizer is based on NLP. It extracts summaries from third-party reviews. It likely that these summaries differ from the publisher's own, if available.