One year after its introduction, the 992 Porsche 911 is finally available with a 7-speed manual transmission as an alternative to the standard 8-speed PDK. A no cost option, the manual transmission is packaged with the Sport Chrono package.
The 7-Speed Manual Transmission
The manual transmission is a variant of the previous generation PDK transmission and the same unit fitted to later 991 Porsche 911s. Part of the 2021-Model Year updates, the precise and smooth transmission is accompanied by several additional features:
- Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) aids the delivery of power with variable torque distribution controlled electronically via brake interventions on the rear wheels
- A mechanically rear differential lock with asymmetrical locking action ensures traction when driven at the limit
- The Sport Chrono package includes a new tire temperature indicator that helps drivers adapt their inputs as the tires warm up
- Automatic rev-match for smooth downshifts is included for the 7-speed manual transmission
- The Sport Chrono package also includes dynamic engine mounts, PSM Sport mode, steering wheel-mounted mode switch, and a stop watch
On paper, vehicles equipped with the manual transmission is slightly slower and less efficient than the PDK-driven models, though they are lighter and more nimble.
Other Changes for the 2021 Model Year
Extending the adaptive cruise control system, the optional InnoDrive optimizes the driving speed for up to three kilometres in advance on PDK-equipped models. Using the navigation data, InnoDrive calculates the optimal acceleration and deceleration for the next three kilometres and applies them via the engine, transmission, and brake systems.
Porsche InnoDrive takes into account corners, gradients, and speed limits. It also detects the traffic situation using radar and video sensors and adapters accordingly.
Another option is Smartlift, which automatically lifts the front end at specific locations by 40 mm: The system saves the GPS coordinates of the current location when activated. If the vehicle approaches this location from the same direction again, the front end will lift up automatically.
Leather Package 930
The leather package 930 is now available for Carrera models. It evokes the original Porsche 911 Turbo (Type 930) with a range of coordinated, extensive leather trims.
The coupe models now offer an optional lightweight and noise-insulated glazing. Applied to the windscreen, rear screen, and door windows, it reduces road and wind noise and saves weight in the meantime (4 kg). The new Ambient Light Design Package includes ambient lighting that can be adjusted in seven colors.