Car News Round Up, Issue 7
Published on 16 Dec 2021Written by Dr Jiulin Teng
Issue 7 of Neofiliac's Car News Round Up: This time, we bring 12 updates from BMW, Ford, GMC, Lamborghini, Lexus, and Rolls Royce Motor Cars.
This Round Up provides our summaries on these latest industry news. It is made possible with our NLP-based algorithms.
News Round Up
BMW Motorrad Motorsport attends first winter test in southern Spain in preparation for the 2022 WorldSBK season
The two BMW teams – BMW Motorrad WorldSBK Team and Bonovo action BMW Racing Team – took to the track in Jerez de la Frontera, Spain, this week. In the BMW Motorrad WorldSBK Team, Michael van der Mark (NED) continued his work on the BMW M 1000 RR as he looks to take another step forward next season after one win and a further two podiums in 2021. Laverty, who was heavily involved in the development of the BMW M 1000 RR, will be racing with the Bonovo action BMW Racing Team in his third season as a BMW works driver.
A joint future: Partnership between BMW and shooting star Matti Schmid
“We extend a warm welcome to Matti Schmid as he joins the BMW Golfsport family and are really looking forward to working together,” said Christian Masanz, Head of Sports Marketing BMW Germany. I’m really looking forward to having BMW at my side as I start working towards them – and I’m delighted to be driving a BMW X3. And Schmid was the best amateur in the field once again at the Open at Royal St George’s Golf Club, finishing tied with Ryder Cup players Lee Westwood (ENG) and Bernd Wiesberger (AUT), among other players.
BMW M Motorsport says thank you to Martin Tomczyk for ten amazing years together
He joined BMW M Motorsport as reigning DTM champion in late 2011, played a leading role in BMW’s DTM comeback in 2012, and went on to become an influential character and a brilliant representative of the BMW brand in the years that followed. “Martin Tomczyk was a terrific ambassador for BMW M Motorsport on and off the racetrack, and for that I would like to extend my heartfelt thanks to him,” said Mike Krack, head of BMW M Motorsport. BMW M Motorsport and Tomczyk started their journey together at the end of 2011 when he joined as the newly crowned DTM champion to take on a leading role in the brand’s DTM comeback the following year.
At the end of an exciting season: Ben Young wins the 2021 BMW Motorrad Race Trophy
Since 2014, BMW Motorrad Motorsport has brought private BMW racers from different international and national championships around the world under one roof in a unique competition – the Race Trophy. All the top riders won races and claimed podiums in their championships on the BMW M 1000 RR and the BMW S 1000 RR, so the race for the Race Trophy was a very close one. They are the best ambassadors we at BMW Motorrad Motorsport could wish for.” “Congratulations to Ben Young and all the participants on their success in the 2021 season,” said Uwe Geyer, who is responsible for the Race Trophy at BMW Motorrad Motorsport.
BMW announced on 15 Dec 2021
Steep mountain roads, high temperatures: Testing the BMW i7 drive under extreme conditions
The series development process of the BMW i7 (power consumption combined: 22.5 – 19.5 kWh/100 km according to WLTP; CO2 emissions: 0 g/km; forecast based on the vehicle's development status to date) in entering its final phase with the car undergoing a demanding test programme in extreme road and weather conditions. During so-called hot-region testing on tracks and public roads all over the world, the development engineers primarily verify the performance and reliability of the electric motors, the all-wheel drive and the high-voltage battery when being exposed to maximum stress from high temperatures, unpaved roads, dust and large differences in altitude. Supported by sensitive on-board measurement technology, experienced test engineers register every reaction of the electric motors, the high-voltage battery, drive control and the integrated cooling system as well as the charging technology and energy management to weather and road-related influences.
BMW announced on 15 Dec 2021
From MINI with BIG LOVE: "Driving Home for Christmas" video clip featuring the worldwide MINI community
MINI is dedicating a specially produced video clip to the song that gets people all over the world in the mood for the festive season every year, starring the global MINI community. In the video clip for "Driving Home for Christmas", MINI fans from different countries and regions are shown in a variety of ways making their way to families and friends during the festive season. With the video clip production initiated by MINI, "Driving Home for Christmas" returns to where it all began: in a very special British automobile.
BMW announced on 14 Dec 2021
BMW Group strategically repositions Customer, Brands and Sales Division under the leadership of Pieter Nota. Further changes at BMW Group Financial Services and Group Treasury
Within the sales region Europe, Stefan Teuchert, Head of BMW Sales Germany, will assume responsibility for the German market from April. At the same time, Jean-Philippe Parain, currently heading the sales region Europe, will take over responsibility for the sales region Asia-Pacific, Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa from Hendrik von Kuenheim, who will retire. In addition, as of 1 April, Birgit Boehm-Wannenwetsch, Head of Group Treasury, will take over as head of the Americas region at BMW Group Financial Services.
Ford announced on 16 Dec 2021
Ford Pro Charging Launches To Help Businesses Of All Sizes Overcome The Hurdle To Seamless Electrification
DEARBORN, Mich., Dec. 16, 2021 – Today, Ford Pro™ announced the launch of Ford Pro Charging, a comprehensive solution for commercial electric vehicle charging. “Customers are saying, ‘We want the E-Transit ® and F-150 Lightning™ Pro, but how are we going to charge and operate them efficiently once they’re in our fleet?’” said Ted Cannis, CEO of Ford Pro, a separate business within Ford focused on commercial customers of all sizes. Ford Pro Charging is an industry first solution that is focused on helping our customers plan for, operate and deploy charging solutions so they can reduce operating costs and improve efficiency.”.
GMC announced on 15 Dec 2021
GMC Expands EV Lineup, Offers 1st Look at Electric Sierra Denali
The electric Sierra, which will launch only in the popular Denali trim, will be the third all-electric vehicle in GMC’s portfolio after the GMC HUMMER EV Pickup and GMC HUMMER EV SUV. “Sierra Denali holds tremendous equity for GMC and our customers,” said Duncan Aldred, GMC vice president. Like the GMC HUMMER EV, the electric Sierra will be purposefully built on the Ultium Platform with the premium materials and capability customers have come to expect from GMC trucks.
Lamborghini announced on 15 Dec 2021
Lamborghini “The Icon Reborn”: an icon is born, not made
The meeting opened with a presentation by Stephan Winkelmann, Chairman and CEO of Lamborghini and then continued with a discussion featuring some of the company’s most influential figures: Federico Foschini, Chief Marketing and Sales Officer, who oversees Polo Storico Lamborghini; Maurizio Reggiani, Chief Technical Officer and member of Polo Storico’s Comitato dei Saggi (Wise Men Committee), and Mitja Borkert, Head of Design. They were joined by an exceptional special guest, Stephen Bayley, writer, curator, critic, design expert and founder of the Design Museum in London, who opened the discussion by explaining the concept of classic: “It is something definitive and universal, where by definitive we mean a concept that goes beyond the passing of time and universal means that everyone likes it.” Bayley then added: “If we can recognize a city by the buildings that make up its skyline, for example Paris with its Eiffel Tower and the Montmartre Basilica, Florence with its Duomo and bell tower, or London with Big Ben and the towering The Shard across the Thames, then the design of those individual works is so extraordinary and so powerful that it makes those buildings different from all others. It’s the sum of the design elements in Lamborghini’s DNA, the tradition of the styling language from the company’s origins to the present day.”.
Rolls-Royce Motor Cars announced on 14 Dec 2021
Applications Now Open For 2022 Rolls-Royce Apprenticeship Programme
As well as receiving world-class training in practical craft, technical or business skills, while being paid, our apprentices study for qualifications up to and including degrees, all fully funded by the company. Rolls-Royce Motor Cars is offering a record number of places on its apprenticeship programme for 2022. The number of places available is up by more than 15% on the previous record set in 2020, reflecting the company's strong business performance, new model launches, including Ghost and its Black Badge variant, and the advent of a new generation of all-electric vehicles headed by the recently-announced Spectre.
- ^ BMW Motorrad Motorsport attends first winter test in southern Spain in preparation for the 2022 WorldSBK season. [BMW]. https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0363015EN/bmw-motorrad-motorsport-attends-first-winter-test-in-southern-spain-in-preparation-for-the-2022-worldsbk-season. 16 Dec 2021.
- ^ A joint future: Partnership between BMW and shooting star Matti Schmid. [BMW]. https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0362994EN/a-joint-future:-partnership-between-bmw-and-shooting-star-matti-schmid. 16 Dec 2021.
- ^ BMW M Motorsport says thank you to Martin Tomczyk for ten amazing years together. [BMW]. https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0362953EN/bmw-m-motorsport-says-thank-you-to-martin-tomczyk-for-ten-amazing-years-together. 16 Dec 2021.
- ^ At the end of an exciting season: Ben Young wins the 2021 BMW Motorrad Race Trophy. [BMW]. https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0362977EN/at-the-end-of-an-exciting-season:-ben-young-wins-the-2021-bmw-motorrad-race-trophy. 16 Dec 2021.
- ^ Steep mountain roads, high temperatures: Testing the BMW i7 drive under extreme conditions. [BMW]. https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0362386EN/steep-mountain-roads-high-temperatures:-testing-the-bmw-i7-drive-under-extreme-conditions. 15 Dec 2021.
- ^ From MINI with BIG LOVE: "Driving Home for Christmas" video clip featuring the worldwide MINI community. [BMW]. https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0362383EN/from-mini-with-big-love:-driving-home-for-christmas-video-clip-featuring-the-worldwide-mini-community. 15 Dec 2021.
- ^ BMW Group strategically repositions Customer, Brands and Sales Division under the leadership of Pieter Nota. Further changes at BMW Group Financial Services and Group Treasury. [BMW]. https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0362716EN/bmw-group-strategically-repositions-customer-brands-and-sales-division-under-the-leadership-of-pieter-nota-further-changes-at-bmw-group-financial-services-and-group-treasury. 14 Dec 2021.
- ^ Ford Pro Charging Launches To Help Businesses Of All Sizes Overcome The Hurdle To Seamless Electrification. [Ford]. https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2021/12/16/ford-pro-charging-launches-to-help-businesses-of-all-sizes-overc.html. 16 Dec 2021.
- ^ GMC Expands EV Lineup, Offers 1st Look at Electric Sierra Denali. [GMC]. https://media.gmc.com/media/us/en/gmc/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2021/dec/1215-gmc.html. 15 Dec 2021.
- ^ Lamborghini “The Icon Reborn”: an icon is born, not made. [Lamborghini]. https://media.lamborghini.com/english/latest-news/models/lamborghini--the-icon-reborn---an-icon-is-born--not-made/s/18a6c9a0-c441-46ca-9df5-f4d4b697abb4. 15 Dec 2021.
- ^ The All-New Lexus Rz 450E. [Lexus]. https://pressroom.lexus.com/the-all-new-lexus-rz-450e/. 16 Dec 2021.
- ^ Applications Now Open For 2022 Rolls-Royce Apprenticeship Programme. [Rolls-Royce Motor Cars]. https://www.press.rolls-roycemotorcars.com/rolls-royce-motor-cars-pressclub/article/detail/T0362759EN/applications-now-open-for-2022-rolls-royce-apprenticeship-programme. 14 Dec 2021.
This page contains affiliate links to third-party merchants such as Amazon, eBay, and Rakuten. When you make a purchase using the supplied links, we will receive a commission.