Car News Round Up, Issue 5
Published on 10 Dec 2021Written by Dr Jiulin Teng
Issue 5 of Neofiliac's Car News Round Up: This time, we bring 16 updates from BMW, and Ford.
This Round Up provides our summaries on these latest industry news. It is made possible with our NLP-based algorithms.
News Round Up
BMW Group Quantum Computing Challenge: the winners have been decided
Munich. The BMW Group, in collaboration with Amazon Web Services Inc. (AWS), invoked the Crowd Innovation Initiative: in July of this year, they called on the global quantum computing community to develop innovative quantum algorithms for four specific industrial challenges and to test them on real quantum computing technologies. Sensor positions for automated driving functions: Accenture Accenture’s winning team tackled the problem of optimising the positioning of sensors for highly automated driving functions.
Successor to a guaranteed title winner: The new BMW M4 GT4 is coming in 2023 – Initial tests last week in Almeria
More than a year before it will be delivered to BMW M Motorsport teams, the new BMW M4 GT4 completed its first tests last week in Almeria (ESP). The BMW M production model provides an outstanding basis, while the new car will also adopt certain components from its big brother, the BMW M4 GT3. Development of the GT4 model, which is based on the new BMW M4 production car (combined fuel consumption: 10.1 – 9.9 l/100 km acc.
BMW Motorrad presents the LEGO Technic BMW M 1000 RR
Today, BMW Motorrad and the LEGO Group reveal the LEGO® Technic BMW M 1000 RR, or the M RR for short, which is set to go on sale on 1 January 2022. The result is a motorcycle and a technical model that each represent the state of the art in their respective fields.” The LEGO Technic BMW M 1000 RR sees BMW Motorrad and LEGO continue their successful partnership and offers fans the opportunity to build the first model M motorcycle of BMW Motorrad that, like its real-life counterpart, stands for technical excellence and attention to detail. There’s a reason why these beautifully engineered bikes are so universally loved by the biking community, and we are confident our LEGO Technic version is a winner like its real-life namesake.” The LEGO Technic BMW M 1000 RR will be available exclusively in LEGO stores and on http://www.lego.com/BMW from 1 January 2022, and from other retailers from 1 March 2022, at a recommended retail price of €199.99 / $229.99 / £174.99.
BMW iX achieves highest possible five-star rating in Euro NCAP safety assessment
This is according to the experts of the European New Car Assessment Programme (Euro NCAP) – the consumer protection institute specialising in automotive safety – who awarded the BMW iX the highest possible rating of five stars in the Euro NCAP safety assessment. During the course of the test programme, which was further intensified in 2020, the BMW Group’s new technology flagship impressed with both its outstanding occupant protection and its advanced driver assistance systems, which are particularly effective in helping to prevent accidents. In the assessment of adult occupant protection, the testers highlighted among other features the effectiveness of the new interactive airbag between the driver and front passenger seats, which provides additional protection against injury in the event of a side collision.
BMW Group signs direct agreement with chip suppliers to secure supplies
To secure semiconductor supplies for the long term, the company has concluded a direct supply assurance agreement with high-tech microchip developer INOVA Semiconductors and GlobalFoundries, a manufacturer of feature-rich semiconductors. This improves planning reliability and transparency around the volumes needed for everyone involved and secures our needs for the long term,” says Dr Andreas Wendt, member of the Board of Management of BMW AG responsible for Purchasing and Supplier Network. “But we firmly believe this innovative approach to partnership throughout the production chain will help us achieve our objectives: In this way, we can secure supplies for our end customers and ensure high planning reliability throughout the long chip production cycles.
MINI Netherlands presents two Dutch MINI Voices: BYBORRE and Studio RENS
To celebrate the success of the partnership with the DDW, MINI Netherlands selected two design studios as its MINI VOICES: BYBORRE and Studio RENS. Borre Akkersdijk, from BYBORRE, was the winner of the MINI Young Designer Award in 2012 and in 2021 the winner of the Dutch Design Award in the category product design. Next to MINI’s connection with BYBORRE dating back to 2012, Borre Akkersdijk has also a link with the MINI Vision Urbanaut – the concept of MINI which was also showcased during the DDW.
Ford, Sk Innovation Add 5,000 Jobs In Kentucky; Deepen Ties To Local Communities With New Battery Manufacturing Campus
FRANKFORT, Ky., Sept. 29, 2021 – Ford Motor Company is announcing plans to create a technologically advanced battery manufacturing campus in Glendale, Kentucky, that will produce batteries for the next generation of electric Ford and Lincoln vehicles. With two assembly plants – Louisville Assembly Plant and Kentucky Truck Plant – employing more than 13,000 workers, plus 172 suppliers and nearly 50 Ford dealerships in the state, Kentucky has long been a vital part of the Ford family, and the company is proud to be part of the communities there. “Ford is excited to make this historic investment in the commonwealth of Kentucky, a state that has been part of the Ford story since we rolled a Model T down an assembly line in Louisville in 1913,” said Lisa Drake, chief operating officer, North America, Ford Motor Company.
Ford, Sk Innovation Add 6,000 Jobs In Tennessee; Will Work Together To Strengthen Local Communities As Ford Creates New Mega Campus
The all-new $5.6 billion mega campus in Stanton, Tennessee, called Blue Oval City, will create approximately 6,000 new jobs and help strengthen the local community. In partnership with the state, Blue Oval City will also be home to innovative worker training and technical education programs to help train Tennesseans for the advanced manufacturing jobs of the future. While the creation of Blue Oval City is crucial to the company’s long-term vision to lead America’s transition to electric vehicles and introduce more sustainable, carbon-neutral manufacturing, it also represents a commitment to west Tennessee.
Ford Restructures India Operations: Plans To Grow Ford Business Solutions; Serve Customers With Iconic Global Vehicles; Cease Local Vehicle Manufacturing
NEW DELHI, Sept. 9, 2021 - Ford in India today announced it will restructure its operations with plans to significantly expand its Chennai-based Ford Business Solutions team and bring to market some of Ford’s iconic global vehicles and electrified SUVs while ceasing vehicle manufacturing in India. As part of the plan, Ford India will wind down vehicle assembly in Sanand by the fourth quarter of 2021 and vehicle and engine manufacturing in Chennai by the second quarter of 2022. With more than 11,000 team members currently in India, Ford Business Solutions plans to expand to provide more opportunities for software developers, data scientists, R&D engineers, and finance and accounting professionals, in support of the Ford+ plan to transform and modernize Ford globally.
Ford Invests Us$900 Million To Modernize Thailand Manufacturing For Next-Gen Ranger And Everest; Adds 1250 New Jobs
BANGKOK, 8 December 2021 – Ford Motor Company today showcased the modernization of its Thailand manufacturing operations with a US$900 million (THB 28 billion) investment in new technologies and systems, the company’s largest-ever single investment in Thailand. The modernization program bolsters Thailand’s role as a global production and export base for Ford, through its wholly-owned Ford Thailand Manufacturing (FTM) and joint-venture AutoAlliance Thailand (AAT) truck plant. “This is an important milestone to build on our quarter-century of commitment to producing vehicles Thailand, enabling us to further modernize and upgrade our local operations, and support production for the exciting upcoming launch of the next-gen Ranger, one of Ford’s highest volume and most successful vehicles anywhere in the world, and the next-gen Everest SUV,” said Yukontorn ‘Vickie’ Wisadkosin, president, Ford ASEAN and Asia Pacific Distributors Markets.
Ford And The Uaw Provide Voluntary Covid-19 Vaccines To Chicagoland Plant Workforce
DEARBORN, Mich., May 6, 2021 – The UAW and Ford are expanding the locations where they provide voluntary COVID-19 vaccines to include its two Chicagoland manufacturing plants. Chicago Assembly Plant and Chicago Stamping Plant are the latest locations where Ford is offering the COVID-19 vaccine to employees and agency resources through the UAW and Ford-led initiative. Chicago Stamping Plant will provide the COVID-19 vaccine on May 6 and Chicago Assembly Plant on May 13.
Van Dyke Plant’S Name Change Aligns With Expanded Production Line, Ford’S Commitment To Electrification
The Van Dyke Transmission Plant, in a nod to the advanced technology it will produce, will now be called the Van Dyke Electric Powertrain Center. For the first time, the plant will produce electric motors and electric transaxles for hybrid and fully electric vehicles, such as the 2022 F-150 Lightning. For more than 50 years, the Van Dyke Transmission Plant has produced suspension components and traditional transmissions for Ford’s internal combustion engine vehicles.
Ford And The Uaw Providing On-Site Covid-19 Vaccines For Employees In Southeast Michigan, Ohio And Missouri
DEARBORN, Mich., April 19, 2021 – Ford employees interested in being vaccinated against COVID-19 can now receive an on-site vaccination at manufacturing facilities in three states. Starting today, Ford and the UAW are offering the vaccine program to employees in Southeast Michigan and will provide the shot to employees in the Lima, Ohio, and Kansas City, Mo., areas as well. Hourly and salaried employees who are having difficulty finding an appointment now need to look no further as Ford is opening appointments at its on-site locations.
Ford Again Leads Automakers In U.S. Assembly, Hourly Jobs, Underscoring Commitment To American Economy
More than 82 percent of Ford vehicles sold in the U.S. in 2020 were assembled in the U.S. – up from 75 percent in 2019 and more vehicles than any other automaker, even factoring in industry and production disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. Ford also led U.S. light vehicle production and sales in 2018 and 2019, according to IHS Markit light vehicle production and sales data. Ford assembled 1.7 million vehicles in the U.S. in 2020 – 188,000 more than any other automaker – during a year that included the model year changeover of the best-selling Ford F-150 pickup.
Ford To Lead America’S Shift To Electric Vehicles With New Mega Campus In Tennessee And Twin Battery Plants In Kentucky; $11.4B Investment To Create 11,000 Jobs And Power New Lineup Of Advanced Evs
DEARBORN, Mich., Sept. 27, 2021 – Ford Motor Company is announcing plans to bring electric vehicles at scale to American customers with two new massive, environmentally and technologically advanced campuses in Tennessee and Kentucky that will produce the next generation of electric F-Series trucks and the batteries to power future electric Ford and Lincoln vehicles. Ford plans to make the largest ever U.S. investment in electric vehicles at one time by any automotive manufacturer and, together with its partner, SK Innovation, plans to invest $11.4 billion and create nearly 11,000 new jobs at the Tennessee and Kentucky mega-sites, strengthening local communities and building on Ford’s position as America’s leading employer of hourly autoworkers. BlueOval City will become a vertically integrated ecosystem for Ford to assemble an expanded lineup of electric F-Series vehicles and will include a BlueOval SK battery plant, key suppliers and recycling.
Ford Begins Pre-Production Of All-Electric F-150 Lightning Truck, Boosts Investment, Adds Jobs In Michigan
DEARBORN, Mich., Sept. 16, 2021 – As the first pre-production F-150 Lightning trucks roll out of Ford’s new Rouge Electric Vehicle Center and demand soars for the all-electric truck, Ford today said it will increase investment and add jobs to boost production. Ford is investing an additional $250 million and adding 450 more direct jobs across the Rouge Electric Vehicle Center, Van Dyke Electric Powertrain Center and Rawsonville Components Plant. So we are doubling down, adding jobs and investment to increase production,” said Bill Ford, executive chair, Ford Motor Company.
- ^ BMW Group Quantum Computing Challenge: the winners have been decided. [BMW]. https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0362463EN/bmw-group-quantum-computing-challenge:-the-winners-have-been-decided. 09 Dec 2021.
- ^ Successor to a guaranteed title winner: The new BMW M4 GT4 is coming in 2023 – Initial tests last week in Almeria. [BMW]. https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0362519EN/successor-to-a-guaranteed-title-winner:-the-new-bmw-m4-gt4-is-coming-in-2023-%E2%80%93-initial-tests-last-week-in-almeria. 09 Dec 2021.
- ^ BMW Motorrad presents the LEGO Technic BMW M 1000 RR. [BMW]. https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0362474EN/bmw-motorrad-presents-the-lego-technic-bmw-m-1000-rr. 09 Dec 2021.
- ^ BMW iX achieves highest possible five-star rating in Euro NCAP safety assessment. [BMW]. https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0362373EN/bmw-ix-achieves-highest-possible-five-star-rating-in-euro-ncap-safety-assessment. 08 Dec 2021.
- ^ BMW Group signs direct agreement with chip suppliers to secure supplies. [BMW]. https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0362334EN/bmw-group-signs-direct-agreement-with-chip-suppliers-to-secure-supplies. 08 Dec 2021.
- ^ MINI Netherlands presents two Dutch MINI Voices: BYBORRE and Studio RENS. [BMW]. https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0362372EN/mini-netherlands-presents-two-dutch-mini-voices:-byborre-and-studio-rens. 08 Dec 2021.
- ^ Ford, Sk Innovation Add 5,000 Jobs In Kentucky; Deepen Ties To Local Communities With New Battery Manufacturing Campus. [Ford]. https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2021/09/29/ford--sk-innovation-add-5-000-jobs-in-kentucky.html. 07 Dec 2021.
- ^ Ford, Sk Innovation Add 6,000 Jobs In Tennessee; Will Work Together To Strengthen Local Communities As Ford Creates New Mega Campus. [Ford]. https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2021/09/29/ford--sk-innovation-add-6-000-jobs-in-tennessee.html. 07 Dec 2021.
- ^ Ford Restructures India Operations: Plans To Grow Ford Business Solutions; Serve Customers With Iconic Global Vehicles; Cease Local Vehicle Manufacturing. [Ford]. https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2021/09/09/ford-restructures-india-operations.html. 07 Dec 2021.
- ^ Ford Invests Us$900 Million To Modernize Thailand Manufacturing For Next-Gen Ranger And Everest; Adds 1250 New Jobs. [Ford]. https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2021/12/07/ford-invests-us-900-million-thailand.html. 07 Dec 2021.
- ^ Ford And The Uaw Provide Voluntary Covid-19 Vaccines To Chicagoland Plant Workforce. [Ford]. https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2021/05/06/ford-uaw-covid-19-vaccines-chicagoland.html. 07 Dec 2021.
- ^ Van Dyke Plant’S Name Change Aligns With Expanded Production Line, Ford’S Commitment To Electrification. [Ford]. https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2021/05/24/van-dyke-plant_s-name-change-electrification.html. 07 Dec 2021.
- ^ Ford And The Uaw Providing On-Site Covid-19 Vaccines For Employees In Southeast Michigan, Ohio And Missouri. [Ford]. https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2021/04/19/ford-uaw-providing-on-site-covid-19-vaccines.html. 07 Dec 2021.
- ^ Ford Again Leads Automakers In U.S. Assembly, Hourly Jobs, Underscoring Commitment To American Economy. [Ford]. https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2021/03/19/ford-leads-automakers-us-assembly-vehicle-sales.html. 07 Dec 2021.
- ^ Ford To Lead America’S Shift To Electric Vehicles With New Mega Campus In Tennessee And Twin Battery Plants In Kentucky; $11.4B Investment To Create 11,000 Jobs And Power New Lineup Of Advanced Evs. [Ford]. https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2021/09/27/ford-to-lead-americas-shift-to-electric-vehicles.html. 07 Dec 2021.
- ^ Ford Begins Pre-Production Of All-Electric F-150 Lightning Truck, Boosts Investment, Adds Jobs In Michigan. [Ford]. https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2021/09/16/ford-begins-pre-production-f-150-lightning.html. 07 Dec 2021.
This page contains affiliate links to third-party merchants such as Amazon, eBay, and Rakuten. When you make a purchase using the supplied links, we will receive a commission.