Car News Round Up, Issue 2
Published on 02 Dec 2021Written by Dr Jiulin Teng
Issue 2 of Neofiliac's Car News Round Up: This time, we bring 27 updates from BMW, Honda, Lamborghini, Lexus, and Lincoln.
This Round Up provides our summaries on these latest industry news. It is made possible with our NLP-based algorithms.
News Round Up
BMW announced on 02 Dec 2021
BMW Motorrad Rider Equipment Collection 2022
With the Plugged to Life range BMW Motorrad presents practical and stylish products that are best suited for daily motorbike rides and remain absolutely suitable for everyday use even when you get off your bike. Also new: In the Never Stop Challenging range, all new products now have a consistent, exciting design language and a high recognition factor, from the M Pro Race Comp leather one-piece suit to the Sidepod AIR jacket. These include the GS Rally GTX suit (for the first time also for women) and the GS Rally AIR suit.
BMW Digital Key now available for Android smartphones
Together with its partners BMW – in the context of the Car Connectivity Consortium – is continuing to press ahead with the development and distribution of the BMW Digital Key. With this update, the number of compatible smartphone models is increasing and thus also the pool of BMW drivers who will be able to use the BMW Digital Key in the future. With the BMW Digital Key, customers can easily unlock and lock their BMW simply by holding their smartphone next to the handle of the driver's door.
BMW continues successful audio entertainment format and makes it interactive: Second season of the podcast thriller "Hypnopolis" launched
The "Hypnopolis" story deliberately focuses neither on the BMW brand nor on vehicles, but it does draw on the expertise of the BMW Group. Listeners can influence the course of the story through their decisions - this is how we emotionalise the brand and consistently follow our customer-centred marketing approach," says Stefan Ponikva, Head of BMW Brand Communication and Experience. Since the format has also been implemented in the entertainment programme of BMW vehicles, customers can enjoy the podcast as an "in-car experience".
May your December be MINI and bright – Festive MINI Electric embarks on charity tour.
Lighting the way after the Festive MINI Electric’s first public appearance at The Lexicon Bracknell in Berkshire, on the 25th November, the car is travelling to various locations around the UK, driven by project creator Nicholas ‘Nico’ Martin. However, in December 2020, without the usual Christmas switch-on displays delivering much-needed festive spirit, Nico realised he could use the Festive MINI to bring joy and positivity to people on their own doorsteps, whilst also raising awareness and over £5000 for the MS Trust and Duchenne UK, two charities very close to his heart. This year, Nico has introduced a guest charity spot taken up by Alzheimer’s Society and he has rallied support from MINI UK, Festive Lights and Italian smart lighting company Twinkly, to up the voltage on his project and make it bigger and better than ever, with an aim of raising as much money as possible for the three special causes.
Endurance test on ice and snow: The BMW i7 undergoes driving dynamics testing at the polar circle
Within the framework of its series development process, the BMW i7 is currently undergoing driving dynamics testing on the premises of the BMW Group winter test centre in Arjeplog, Sweden. The suspension components, steering and braking systems as well as driving dynamics and vehicle stability systems developed for the future generation of the BMW 7 Series are designed to raise the balance between sportiness and ride comfort so typical of the brand’s luxury sedans to the next level. The BMW i7’s electric drive, high-voltage battery, power electronics and charging technology all originate from the fifth generation of BMW eDrive technology, which already provides for sustainable driving pleasure in the BMW iX.
Management changes in BMW Group production network
+++ Hans-Peter Kemser named as plant director for planned site in Debrecen, Hungary +++ Petra Peterhänsel will take over at Plant Leipzig +++. He has been in charge of BMW Group Plant Leipzig since 2015, where he was responsible for production of the BMW 1 Series and 2 Series ranges, as well as the fully-electric BMW i3* and, up until 2020, the BMW i8. “Hans-Peter Kemser is an absolute production expert and his years of experience make him the perfect choice for successfully implementing the plant ramp-up in Debrecen,” said Milan Nedeljković, member of the Board of Management of BMW AG responsible for production.
BMW M2 Cup set to feature on the DTM support programme at six race weekends again in 2022
After the successful premiere of the BMW M2 Cup in 2021, the one-make cup has now announced its race calendar for the coming season. The BMW M2 CS Racing has racing DNA that is typical for BMW M. I’m really looking forward to the 2022 season and hope for another thrilling title battle.”. The announcement of the calendar also marks the start of the official registration period for season two of the BMW M2 Cup.
The BMW Concept XM – power and luxury beyond all conventions
The BMW Concept XM looks ahead to the most powerful BMW M car ever to go into series production, which is set to begin at the end of next year. The BMW Concept XM provides a first glimpse of the new front-end design for BMW’s forthcoming luxury-class models. “The BMW Concept XM represents a complete re-imagining of the high-performance car segment,” says Franciscus van Meel, CEO of BMW M GmbH.
Shaping the future of quantum computing together: BMW Group and RWTH Aachen University sign contract for “Quantum Information Systems” endowed chair
The BMW Group will in the future support research into the future technology of quantum computing at the RWTH Aachen University, thus once again emphasising its leading role in the development of a quantum ecosystem. Prof. Dr. Ulrich Rüdiger, Rector of the RWTH Aachen University, Alexander Buresch, CIO of BMW AG, and Dr. Stefan Floeck, Executive Mentor of the Strategic Partnership of the BMW Group and RWTH Aachen University and Senior Vice President Product Line MINI and BMW Compact Class, have signed the contract for establishing the "Quantum Information Systems" endowed chair. The common higher-order objective of the RWTH Aachen University and the BMW Group is to close the gap between outstanding basic research in Germany and the applicability of quantum computing in industry.
Timo Resch becomes Vice President Customer, Brand, Sales at BMW M GmbH.
He was Head of Product Management for the BMW X5, BMW X6 and BMW X7 models as well as the BMW 7 Series and BMW 8 Series before joining BMW Motorrad in May 2017. Regionalization accounted for an essential foundation for building the remarkable leadership of the BMW Group in the region and the outstanding segment share development in the region”, says Sebastian Mackensen, Head of BMW Group Region Americas and President & CEO for BMW of North America. Dr. Markus Schramm, Senior Vice President BMW Motorrad: "We are very pleased to have won Alexander Wehr, an experienced colleague and motorcycle enthusiast, for the position of Vice President Customer, Brand, Sales BMW Motorrad.
BMW returns to Art Basel in Miami Beach as official automotive partner. Launching the new BMW Concept XM, BMW features artist Kennedy Yanko and Grammy-award winner NAS
In the latest chapter of the partnership, BMW held the official world premiere of an all-new concept vehicle, the BMW Concept XM, on Monday, November 29 in Miami Beach. As longstanding global partner of the shows in Basel, Miami Beach and Hong Kong, BMW once again offers its VIP shuttle service and celebrates 50 years of BMW Group Cultural Engagement with the presentation of the new BMW XM concept car together with the artist Kennedy Yanko and hip-hop legend NAS. The vehicle embodies a radically new concept: a zero-compromise BMW M with striking BMW X design language including the new, progressive front-end design of BMW’s forthcoming luxury-class models which can be seen on the BMW Concept XM for the first time.
Lamborghini announced on 02 Dec 2021
Lamborghini Presents “Lamborghini Countach: Future Is Our Legacy” at The Wolfsonian- FIU Museum during Art Basel Miami
Located in the heart of the Art Deco District in Miami Beach, the Museum’s second floor gallery has been transformed for guests to experience Lamborghini’s holistic approach to sustainability and the design evolution of the brand via the iconic Lamborghini Countach. A 1986 Lamborghini Countach LP 5000 QV serves as the centerpiece of the gallery as guests travel through the exhibition starting with a history of the Countach models, then visiting the vintage sketches, the path to sustainability corner and completing the experience with imagery of the new Lamborghini Countach LPI 800-4. This latest Countach LPI 800-4 is a second step after the Lamborghini Sian towards hybridization, one of the ambitious goals of Direzione Cor Tauri, targeting 50 percent fewer CO₂ emissions by 2025 with a fully plug-in hybrid model lineup, and the first fully battery electric Lamborghini following in the second part of this decade.
Lamborghini announced on 01 Dec 2021
Lamborghini Showcases the Huracán STO at the Institute of Contemporary Art, Miami
Sant’Agata Bolognese/Miami, FL December 1, 2021 – In celebration of the the Opening Reception and annual kick-off to Art Basel Miami, Automobili Lamborghini is honored to partner with W Magazine and the Institute of Contemporary Art (ICA), Miami for an interactive, digital installation surrounding the latest Lamborghini Huracán Super Trofeo Omologato (STO). Created with racing-inspired design that pays tribute to the Lamborghini motorsport heritage and coupled with extreme aerodynamics for podium-class performance, the Huracán STO is being displayed during Art Basel Miami week in the ICA’s most stunning footprint - the Sculpture Garden. Dedicated to promoting continuous experimentation in contemporary art, advancing new scholarship, and fostering the exchange of art and ideas, the ICA Miami offers the perfect environment in which to showcase this Lamborghini masterpiece.
Lexus announced on 30 Nov 2021
Lexus Unveils ‘On/’ At Design Miami/ 2021: A Vision For An Electrified, Carbon-Neutral And Human-Centered Future By Germane Barnes And The University Of Miami
PLANO, Texas (Nov. 30, 2021) – Today, Lexus unveiled ‘ON/’ at Design Miami/, presenting a vision by Germane Barnes and his team at the University of Miami that is inspired by the power and potential of Lexus’s LF-Z Electrified Concept car, which introduces new electrification principles to the brand’s ethos. The installation is centered around a precisely-to-scale, three-dimensional sculptural rendition of the LF-Z Electrified Concept car rendered in steel and illuminated with embedded LED lighting; the frame of the car glows and is suspended just above the ground, a vision of a more sustainable future coming into focus. This arch is echoed in furniture with embedded LED lighting designed by Barnes and his team specifically for the installation, providing discrete areas for rest, repose and recharging — reflecting the brand’s commitment to the principle of omotenashi (exceptional hospitality).
All-New Lincoln Zephyr Debuts At Auto Guangzhou 2021 Highlighting Lincoln’S Future Design And Connected Features
GUANGZHOU, China, Nov. 19, 2021 – Lincoln today debuted its first locally-produced sedan – the all-new Lincoln Zephyr – in China at Auto Guangzhou. The highly anticipated Zephyr highlights the future direction of Lincoln’s design and intelligent technology, and is expected to contribute to Lincoln’s growth in China. Mao Jingbo, president, Lincoln China said “The Lincoln Zephyr is a true masterpiece that brings together the expertise of our global team in California and the exceptional talent of our local team in China.
New Jet Appearance Package Brings Sleeker, Black Accents To The Lincoln Aviator
DEARBORN, Mich., Dec. 01, 2021 – Lincoln debuts a new Jet Appearance Package for the 2022 Lincoln Aviator, bringing striking elegance to the forefront with high-gloss black accents and sleek new features. Lincoln designers tuned in to what clients said they wanted in creating the new Jet Package, which builds on the success of the Monochromatic Reserve Package, replacing chrome accents with high-gloss black design elements. Featuring black-painted 22-inch wheels, a blacked-out Lincoln grille, black skull caps, roof rails and lower fascia, as well as body-colored lower cladding and wheel lip moldings, Aviator Jet Package offers clients a new way to personalize their vehicle with an on-trend design theme.
Exquisite Craftsmanship: Lincoln Introduces Exclusive Black Label Themes With New 2022 Navigator
The Black Label experience represents the very best that Lincoln has to offer, with exclusive member benefits and specially curated interiors, creating a personalized experience for clients that they can make their own. Currently available on Navigator, Aviator and Nautilus, Lincoln Black Label saw a sales increase of 15 percent in the first half of 2021 – 8 percent of total SUV sales. Specially curated Black Label themes are designed to evoke an experience that is uniquely Lincoln, using the finest materials such as premium Venetian leathers and designer woods.
Artcenter College Of Design Student Concept To Be Displayed At The Quail Motorsports Gathering
MONTEREY, CA., Aug. 13, 2021 – As part of Monterey Car Week, one of the four concepts from the Lincoln and ArtCenter College of Design challenge – “Anniversary” – will be displayed at The Quail Motorsports Gathering. A futuristic, four-passenger Lincoln vehicle, “Anniversary” leverages its digital technology to enable its passengers to connect the present and the past, fitting the challenge of imagining Lincoln vehicles of 2040 and beyond, as well as the world in which they would live. “This is precisely why we decided to create a full-sized replica of one of the projects, highlight the amazing talent in tomorrow’s designers and their unique perspective of our Lincoln Quiet Flight brand DNA.”.
Artcenter College Of Design Students Imagine Lincoln Quiet Flight In 2040; Push Creative Boundaries In Transportation Design
Four teams of transportation design students were assigned the challenge, the first of which was being teamed with fellow students of varying disciplines, including film students, entertainment designers, illustrators and animators. The virtual mission was to imagine not only Lincoln vehicles of 2040 and beyond, but the world in which those vehicles would live – even the lives of the people who would drive them. “ArtCenter is known for great vehicle design, and it’s in the heart of Hollywood,” said Jordan Meadows, global strategic design specialist for Lincoln, and assistant professor at ArtCenter.
Improved Headlights Steer Lincoln Nautilus To Insurance Institute For Highway Safety Top Safety Pick Award
DEARBORN, Mich., Aug. 25, 2021 – Improved headlights have earned the new 2021 Lincoln Nautilus the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety TOP SAFETY PICK award. To qualify, a vehicle must earn good ratings in the driver-side small overlap front, moderate overlap front, side, roof strength and head restraint tests, as well as good or acceptable ratings in the passenger-side small overlap front test. Lincoln’s midsize luxury SUV was also recognized for its improved LED projector headlights that reduce glare, available on Ultimate Package-equipped Lincoln Black Label and Reserve trim level vehicles.
New Lincoln Navigator Commands The Road With Elevated Design, Advanced Technologies Including Activeglide Hands-Free Driving
And with the debut of the new 2022 Navigator, Lincoln is elevating first-class travel yet again with the introduction of more effortless technologies. “The confident, new look of Navigator and the introduction of advanced features such as Lincoln ActiveGlide – our hands-free driver-assist technology – are great examples of how we elevate our sanctuary experience and keep our vehicles fresh,” said Joy Falotico, president, Lincoln. Debuting with new exterior design elements, advanced technology and purposeful features and experiences, the Lincoln flagship will continue to build on its success to meet and exceed the discerning needs of luxury clients.
Lincoln Accelerates Brand Transformation; Plans To Deliver A Full Portfolio Of Connected And Electrified Vehicles By 2030
DEARBORN, Mich., June 16, 2021 – Lincoln will debut its first global fully electric vehicle next year, the first step toward electrifying its entire portfolio of vehicles by the end of the decade. “As we accelerate Lincoln’s transformation in North America and China, there is no better time to propel the Lincoln brand forward with electrification,” said Joy Falotico, president, Lincoln. The company’s new rear-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive battery electric flexible architecture will enable Lincoln to deliver four new and distinct fully electric vehicles.
In A Celebration Of Craftsmanship, Lincoln And Shinola Work Together To Create Unique Aviator Concept
Two iconic brands with a shared passion for design, Lincoln and Shinola have teamed up to create an Aviator SUV concept. After a visit to Shinola’s flagship showroom in Detroit, Lincoln designers set out to explore the brand’s popular lifestyle products on display, then found ways to incorporate some very compelling design elements into a unique theme. “Shinola opened up their showroom to us as a playground – allowing us to explore how their brand’s lifestyle ethos could be woven into a new theme for one of our vehicles,” said Kemal Curic, design director, Lincoln.
- ^ BMW Motorrad Rider Equipment Collection 2022. [BMW]. https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0361904EN/bmw-motorrad-rider-equipment-collection-2022. 02 Dec 2021.
- ^ BMW Digital Key now available for Android smartphones. [BMW]. https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0362094EN/bmw-digital-key-now-available-for-android-smartphones. 01 Dec 2021.
- ^ BMW continues successful audio entertainment format and makes it interactive: Second season of the podcast thriller "Hypnopolis" launched. [BMW]. https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0361981EN/bmw-continues-successful-audio-entertainment-format-and-makes-it-interactive:-second-season-of-the-podcast-thriller-hypnopolis-launched. 01 Dec 2021.
- ^ May your December be MINI and bright – Festive MINI Electric embarks on charity tour. . [BMW]. https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0361988EN/may-your-december-be-mini-and-bright-%E2%80%93-festive-mini-electric-embarks-on-charity-tour. 01 Dec 2021.
- ^ Endurance test on ice and snow: The BMW i7 undergoes driving dynamics testing at the polar circle. [BMW]. https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0360332EN/endurance-test-on-ice-and-snow:-the-bmw-i7-undergoes-driving-dynamics-testing-at-the-polar-circle. 01 Dec 2021.
- ^ Management changes in BMW Group production network. [BMW]. https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0362009EN/management-changes-in-bmw-group-production-network. 01 Dec 2021.
- ^ BMW M2 Cup set to feature on the DTM support programme at six race weekends again in 2022. [BMW]. https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0362015EN/bmw-m2-cup-set-to-feature-on-the-dtm-support-programme-at-six-race-weekends-again-in-2022. 30 Nov 2021.
- ^ The BMW Concept XM – power and luxury beyond all conventions. [BMW]. https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0357372EN/the-bmw-concept-xm-%E2%80%93-power-and-luxury-beyond-all-conventions. 30 Nov 2021.
- ^ Shaping the future of quantum computing together: BMW Group and RWTH Aachen University sign contract for “Quantum Information Systems” endowed chair. [BMW]. https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0361985EN/shaping-the-future-of-quantum-computing-together:-bmw-group-and-rwth-aachen-university-sign-contract-for-%E2%80%9Cquantum-information-systems%E2%80%9D-endowed-chair. 30 Nov 2021.
- ^ Timo Resch becomes Vice President Customer, Brand, Sales at BMW M GmbH. . [BMW]. https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0361995EN/timo-resch-becomes-vice-president-customer-brand-sales-at-bmw-m-gmbh. 30 Nov 2021.
- ^ BMW returns to Art Basel in Miami Beach as official automotive partner. Launching the new BMW Concept XM, BMW features artist Kennedy Yanko and Grammy-award winner NAS. [BMW]. https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0362011EN/bmw-returns-to-art-basel-in-miami-beach-as-official-automotive-partner-launching-the-new-bmw-concept-xm-bmw-features-artist-kennedy-yanko-and-grammy-award-winner-nas. 30 Nov 2021.
- ^ Lamborghini Presents “Lamborghini Countach: Future Is Our Legacy” at The Wolfsonian- FIU Museum during Art Basel Miami. [Lamborghini]. https://media.lamborghini.com/english/latest-news/models/lamborghini-presents--lamborghini-countach--future-is-our-legacy--at-the-wolfsonian--fiu-museum-duri/s/f7960943-7896-4c1b-9e55-094bd9d15867. 02 Dec 2021.
- ^ Lamborghini Showcases the Huracán STO at the Institute of Contemporary Art, Miami. [Lamborghini]. https://media.lamborghini.com/english/latest-news/models/lamborghini-showcases-the-hurac-n-sto-at-the-institute-of-contemporary-art--miami/s/917a901f-80e4-4801-afa4-9e8c81912973. 01 Dec 2021.
- ^ Peek At The Newest Lexus Electrified Vehicle. [Lexus]. https://pressroom.lexus.com/peek-at-the-newest-lexus-electrified-vehicle/. 02 Dec 2021.
- ^ Lexus Unveils ‘On/’ At Design Miami/ 2021: A Vision For An Electrified, Carbon-Neutral And Human-Centered Future By Germane Barnes And The University Of Miami. [Lexus]. https://pressroom.lexus.com/lexus-unveils-on-at-design-miami-2021-a-vision-for-an-electrified-carbon-neutral-and-human-centered-future-by-germane-barnes-and-the-university-of-miami/. 30 Nov 2021.
- ^ All-New Lincoln Zephyr Debuts At Auto Guangzhou 2021 Highlighting Lincoln’S Future Design And Connected Features. [Lincoln]. https://media.lincoln.com/content/lincolnmedia/lna/us/en/news/2021/11/19/all-new-lincoln-zephyr.html. 01 Dec 2021.
- ^ New Jet Appearance Package Brings Sleeker, Black Accents To The Lincoln Aviator. [Lincoln]. https://media.lincoln.com/content/lincolnmedia/lna/us/en/news/2021/12/01/new-jet-appearance-package-brings-sleeker--black-accents-to-the-.html. 01 Dec 2021.
- ^ Exquisite Craftsmanship: Lincoln Introduces Exclusive Black Label Themes With New 2022 Navigator. [Lincoln]. https://media.lincoln.com/content/lincolnmedia/lna/us/en/news/2021/08/18/exclusive-black-label-themes-2022-navigator.html. 01 Dec 2021.
- ^ Artcenter College Of Design Student Concept To Be Displayed At The Quail Motorsports Gathering. [Lincoln]. https://media.lincoln.com/content/lincolnmedia/lna/us/en/news/2021/08/13/artcenter-college-of-design-student-concept.html. 01 Dec 2021.
- ^ Artcenter College Of Design Students Imagine Lincoln Quiet Flight In 2040; Push Creative Boundaries In Transportation Design. [Lincoln]. https://media.lincoln.com/content/lincolnmedia/lna/us/en/news/2021/06/29/artcenter-college-design-students-imagine-lincoln-quiet-flight-in-2040.html. 01 Dec 2021.
- ^ Improved Headlights Steer Lincoln Nautilus To Insurance Institute For Highway Safety Top Safety Pick Award. [Lincoln]. https://media.lincoln.com/content/lincolnmedia/lna/us/en/news/2021/08/25/lincoln-nautilus-top-safety-pick.html. 01 Dec 2021.
- ^ New Lincoln Navigator Commands The Road With Elevated Design, Advanced Technologies Including Activeglide Hands-Free Driving. [Lincoln]. https://media.lincoln.com/content/lincolnmedia/lna/us/en/news/2021/08/18/new-lincoln-navigator-commands-the-road.html. 01 Dec 2021.
- ^ Lincoln Accelerates Brand Transformation; Plans To Deliver A Full Portfolio Of Connected And Electrified Vehicles By 2030. [Lincoln]. https://media.lincoln.com/content/lincolnmedia/lna/us/en/news/2021/06/16/lincoln-accelerates-brand-transformation.html. 01 Dec 2021.
- ^ In A Celebration Of Craftsmanship, Lincoln And Shinola Work Together To Create Unique Aviator Concept. [Lincoln]. https://media.lincoln.com/content/lincolnmedia/lna/us/en/news/2021/08/02/lincoln-aviator-shinola-concept.html. 01 Dec 2021.
This page contains affiliate links to third-party merchants such as Amazon, eBay, and Rakuten. When you make a purchase using the supplied links, we will receive a commission.