Alienware AW5520QF Review Rundown
Alienware AW5520QF is a massive, 55-inch OLED gaming monitor with a price to match its size. Its 4K display uses an OLED panel, a first in the world of gaming monitors. While ambitious in scope and stellar-looking under the right lighting, the high-refresh-rate Alienware 55 OLED requires too many compromises for its multi-kilo-buck price.
This rundown provides our analysis on 8 third-party reviews. The sentiment scores, summaries, and key takeaways that we select are based on these reviews and may differ from the original publication.
Price Comparison (incl. referral links)
Reviewers from Cnet have found the following[***]:
At 55 inches it's huge -- for a computer monitor, at least -- with the broad gamut, vivid colors, spectacular blacks and superfast pixel response OLED is known for. It's important to understand that nothing compares to OLED for gaming. As a monitor, the Alienware does offer some advantages over a TV like the LG.
Reviewers from Digitaltrends have found the following[***]:
The Alienware 55 is the first OLED gaming monitor. It has a 120Hz adaptive refresh rate, which means you can push your gaming PC's performance over 100 FPS without screen-tearing or stuttering. With color gamut up to 95 percent DCI-P3, you'll take in colors that just aren't possible on most current LCD monitors. The screen is surrounded by tiny bezels and the frame is miniscule.
Reviewers from Laptopmag have found the following[***]:
Alienware AW5520QF is a massive, 55-inch OLED gaming monitor with a price to match its size. It has a stunning 4K OLED panel, a sleek yet practical design and plenty of useful and easily accessible ports. OLED remains the leading screen technology, offering perfect darks, super-high contrast levels and vivid colors.
Reviewers from Pcmag have found the following[***]:
The Alienware 55 OLED Gaming Display is a 55-inch 120Hz FreeSync gaming monitor. The 3,840-by-2160-pixel ultra-high-definition 4K display uses an OLED panel. OLED panel burn-in, "ghosts" of static images or menus need to be cleared by built-in utilities.
Reviewers from Techradar have found the following[***]:
Dell's Alienware AW5520QF is a huge 55-inch OLED gaming monitor. It costs $3,999.99 (£3,199.99, around AU$6,000) and comes with a remote control. It has features you'd usually find in a gaming monitor rather than a standard TV, such as a high 120Hz refresh rate, AMD FreeSync support and low input latency.
Reviewers from Tomsguide have found the following[***]:
The Alienware AW5520QF OLED is a 55-inch gaming monitor that costs 4 grand. It's a giant OLED display that dwarfs the TVs in many living rooms. It offers features and capabilities that you won't find on any TV, even the best 4K gaming TVs.
Reviewers from Tomshardware have found the following[***]:
The 55-inch Alienware AW5520QF has a large display, FreeSync and an OLED panel. OLED manages better blacks than the best plasmas for a contrast effect that is well beyond anything LCD can deliver. There are eight preset picture modes for different game types or desired color temps.
Reviewers from Trustedreviews have found the following[***]:
The Alienware 55 OLED Gaming Monitor has a 55-inch 4K display. It boasts a 120Hz refresh rate and 0.5ms response time for super-smooth gaming. AMD FreeSync, meanwhile, locks the monitors refresh rate to the game's frames-per-second performance, eradicating the jarring screen-tearing effect. With a 94.9% sRGB colour coverage, this is one of the best gaming monitors I've seen.
- 1. ^ Alienware 55 OLED Gaming Monitor (AW5520QF) review: Epic gaming display, but epic price doesn't add up. Cnet. 30 September 2019. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 2. ^ Alienware 55 OLED monitor hands-on review. Digitaltrends. 09 January 2019. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 3. ^ Alienware AW5520QF 55-inch OLED Gaming Monitor Review. Laptopmag. 05 November 2019. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 4. ^ Alienware 55 OLED Gaming Monitor Review. Pcmag. 30 September 2019. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 5. ^ Alienware 55 OLED Gaming Monitor AW5520QF review. Techradar. 22 October 2019. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 6. ^ Alienware AW5520QF 55-Inch OLED Gaming Monitor Review. Tomsguide. 05 November 2019. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 7. ^ Alienware AW5520QF 55-Inch OLED Gaming Monitor Review: Better Than a TV. Tomshardware. 14 November 2019. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 8. ^ Alienware 55 OLED Gaming Monitor Review. Trustedreviews. 20 November 2019. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- *. Neoscore is our sentiment analyzer based on natural language processing (NLP). Scaled in the range of 0 to 100, Neoscore eliminates scoring biases from each publisher; it likely differs from the publisher's own rating, if available, as a result.
- **. Neoanalyzer is our summarizer based on NLP. It identifies key takeaways from each third-party review. The takeaways that it produces likely differ from the publisher's own bullets points, if available, as a result.
- ***. Neosummarizer is based on NLP. It extracts summaries from third-party reviews. It likely that these summaries differ from the publisher's own, if available.