Dell G5 15 SE (2020) Review Rundown
Dell G5 15 SE (2020) is a great mainstream gaming laptop thanks to its wild CPU performance, awesome battery life, and bright 15.6-inch display. Powered by up to AMD Ryzen 9 4900H mobile processor and Radeon RX 5600M graphics, the G 15 SE 5505 can deliver higher performance in some games at an even lower price point.
This rundown provides our analysis on 8 third-party reviews. The sentiment scores, summaries, and key takeaways that we select are based on these reviews and may differ from the original publication.
Price Comparison (incl. referral links)
Reviewers from Cnet have found the following[***]:
The Dell G5 15 Special Edition is the all-AMD model of Dell's entry 15-inch gaming laptop. It's one of many systems in the $1,000-$1,300 price range that boast 144Hz screens. The keyboard feels pretty good for typing, and for gaming there's a slight raised icon to help you center your hand on the WASD keys.
Reviewers from Digitaltrends have found the following[***]:
The Dell G5 SE is not a FreeSync-validated platform, meaning you'll still run into some visual artifacts and screen tears unless you cap your frame rate or turn on V-Sync. It's not the most powerful graphics card in the world, but it can handle most modern games. This laptop offers eight cores and 16 threads of processing power, thanks to the AMD Ryzen 7 4800H.
Reviewers from Laptopmag have found the following[***]:
The Dell G5 15 SE (2020) is one of the first gaming laptops to pack all new AMD hardware. At 5.5 pounds and 14.4 x 10 x 0.9 inches, it's a little wide and heavy for a 15-inch laptop. For the price, its 15.6-inch, 1920 x 1080 display is surprisingly colorful and bright.
Reviewers from Pcmag have found the following[***]:
The 2020 version of the Dell G5 15 SE starts at $879.99; $1,199.99 as tested. The design is basic and hefty; gaming frame rates don't hang with those from like-priced Nvidia-based laptops. It's a pretty good gaming laptop on the whole, but we prefer the Acer Predator Helios 300.
Reviewers from Techradar have found the following[***]:
The Dell G5 15 SE is the company's latest budget gaming laptop, refreshing its existing G5 model line with an all-AMD configuration. For a gaming laptop that starts out under $1,000 (about £800, AU$1,400), it packs a powerful all-around punch, making it a great value for gamers on a budget. The laptop's design leaves something to be desired and its plastic chassis feels pretty flimsy even as the laptop itself is rather heavy.
Reviewers from Theverge have found the following[***]:
Starting at $879.99, this Dell gaming laptop undercuts and outruns the competition in its price range. The G5 doesn't have phenomenal battery stamina like other AMD-powered laptops. It's a great midrange desktop replacement that can play most modern games at their highest graphical settings without a fuss.
Reviewers from Tomsguide have found the following[***]:
The new Dell G5 15 SE is one of the best gaming laptops available if you're looking for solid performance on a budget. Dell's laptop is perfectly capable of playing the biggest PC games at smooth framerates. It's not quite as sleek as the Asus ROG Zephyrus and is a bit wider and heavier than the latest HP Omen 15.
Reviewers from Tomshardware have found the following[***]:
The Dell G5 15 SE ($879.99 to start; $1,289.99 as tested) is the first laptop with AMD's SmartShift. It lets the CPU and GPU share power through AMD's Infinity Fabric. On Geekbench 5, the G5 earned a score of 29,253, beating two 9th Gen Intel based-competitors.
- 1. ^ Dell G5 15 SE review: 1080p power for little more than peanuts. Cnet. 20 October 2020. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 2. ^ Dell G5 SE gaming laptop review: Peak AMD. Digitaltrends. 03 June 2020. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 3. ^ Dell G5 15 SE (2020) review. Laptopmag. 14 July 2020. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 4. ^ Dell G5 15 SE (2020) Review. Pcmag. 29 May 2020. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 5. ^ Dell G5 15 SE (2020) review. Techradar. 17 July 2020. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 6. ^ Dell’s G5 15 SE is both an affordable and excellent gaming laptop. Theverge. 17 July 2020. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 7. ^ Dell G5 15 SE (2020) review. Tomsguide. 31 May 2020. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 8. ^ Dell G5 15 SE Review: AMD’s SmartShift Meets a Hot Potato. Tomshardware. 08 June 2020. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- *. Neoscore is our sentiment analyzer based on natural language processing (NLP). Scaled in the range of 0 to 100, Neoscore eliminates scoring biases from each publisher; it likely differs from the publisher's own rating, if available, as a result.
- **. Neoanalyzer is our summarizer based on NLP. It identifies key takeaways from each third-party review. The takeaways that it produces likely differ from the publisher's own bullets points, if available, as a result.
- ***. Neosummarizer is based on NLP. It extracts summaries from third-party reviews. It likely that these summaries differ from the publisher's own, if available.