ASUS RT-AX86U Review Rundown
Asus RT-AX86U is a midrange WiFi 6 router that delivers speedy close range data rates along with fast connectivity options, gamer-friendly settings, malware protection, and strong parental controls. One of the LAN ports can be used as a dedicated gaming port that automatically gives bandwidth priority to whatever device you connect to it, and you can configure two LAN ports for link aggregation to provide a 2Gbps LAN connection.
This rundown provides our analysis on 8 third-party reviews. The sentiment scores, summaries, and key takeaways that we select are based on these reviews and may differ from the original publication.
Price Comparison (incl. referral links)
Reviewers from Gizmodo have found the following[***]:
The Asus RT-AX88U was an early entrant in the field of 802.11ax routers. It's reasonably attractive for a traditional router, plenty of settings, and great mesh networking function. The Alexa Skills can be dumb, and the UI for configuring the router is a mess. But prepare to hunt for the settings you need to adjust.
Reviewers from Pcmag have found the following[***]:
The Asus RT-AX86U is a dual band AX5700 router that can reach maximum (theoretical) data rates of up to 861Mbps on the 2.4GHz band. One of the LAN ports can be used as a dedicated gaming port that automatically gives bandwidth priority to whatever device you connect to it. The router can be managed using the same Asus Router mobile app as the ZenWiFi AX XT8.
Reviewers from Techradar have found the following[***]:
The Asus RT-AX86U is an attempt to provide a high-performance router suitable for gaming and other demanding tasks at a more mainstream price. It's a dual-band router, supporting Wi-Fi 6 - aka 802.11ax - on the 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz bands, with a top speed of 5700Mbps. There are four additional Gigabit Ethernet ports for devices that need a wired connection, and two USB 3.2 ports for connecting USB storage devices. The Asus app also includes plenty of other useful features, including a simple set-up process.
Reviewers from Tomshardware have found the following[***]:
The Asus RT-AX86U is the entry level router to the Asus Republic of Gamers product line. The router is made of matte-black plastic, with a few tasteful red accents to indicate its gaming aspirations. The dimensions are 242 x 100 x 325mm (9.5 x 3.9 x 12.8 inches) WxDxH, with antennas attached.
- 1. ^ The Asus RT-AX86U Is a Wi-Fi 6 Router That Doesn't Sacrifice Looks for Power. Gizmodo. 30 November 2020. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 2. ^ Asus RT-AX86U AX5700 Router Review. Pcmag. 08 October 2020. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 3. ^ Asus RT-AX86U review. Techradar. 21 August 2020. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 4. ^ Asus RT-AX86U Gaming Router Review: Compact but Pricey. Tomshardware. 05 January 2021. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- *. Neoscore is our sentiment analyzer based on natural language processing (NLP). Scaled in the range of 0 to 100, Neoscore eliminates scoring biases from each publisher; it likely differs from the publisher's own rating, if available, as a result.
- **. Neoanalyzer is our summarizer based on NLP. It identifies key takeaways from each third-party review. The takeaways that it produces likely differ from the publisher's own bullets points, if available, as a result.
- ***. Neosummarizer is based on NLP. It extracts summaries from third-party reviews. It likely that these summaries differ from the publisher's own, if available.