Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5G Review Rundown
Samsung Electronics | Published on 21 Mar 2021 | Last Edited on 06 Jul 2021 | Written by Dr Jiulin Teng w/ Neosummarizer
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip is the first folding phone to really work, but it's still a costly and potentially fragile fashion object rather than a mainstream hit: The Z Flip has about the same performance as the Galaxy S10, and unless you're utterly taken by the ability to prop it on a table to shoot video, I don't feel like the Z Flip's form factor innovation doubles its value. Most people probably shouldn't spend this much on a phone, but if you can afford to then nothing else right now can match it.
This rundown provides our analysis on 8 third-party reviews. The sentiment scores, summaries, and key takeaways that we select are based on these reviews and may differ from the original publication.
Price Comparison (incl. referral links)
Reviewers from Cnet have found the following[***]:
Samsung has done most things right with the Galaxy Z Flip's design. It's fun to wield and practical enough for everyday life. Most people shouldn't run out and buy the Z Flip. You'll get more camera options, longer battery life and a bona fide water-resistance rating from other flagship phones.
Reviewers from Laptopmag have found the following[***]:
The Galaxy Z Flip 5G is the more affordable of Samsung's current foldables. It features a 6.7-inch, (2636 x 1080) AMOLED Samsung display on its interior, while the tiny exterior cover display is just 1.1 inches (300 x 112) The biggest design criticism is the size of its exterior coverdisplay. Leaked images have shown its cover display has roughly doubled in size.
Reviewers from Nextpit have found the following[***]:
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip has a 6.7-inch FHD+ Dynamic AMOLED display. The Infinity-O-Flex display also features a 10-megapixel wide-angle self-view camera with f/2.4 aperture. The camera hump on the front of the phone has a tendency to collect gunk around the rim, but aside from that I feel confident the Flip can survive out in the real world.
Reviewers from Notebookcheck have found the following[***]:
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip is not to be understood as a successor but as an independent series offering an alternative display concept. At 1,480 Euros (~$1,593), the Flip is anything but a bargain and is similarly expensive as the current top-of-the-line model of the Galaxy S20 series. In everyday use, the Flip delivers good performance, but in tests with our reference router, the smartphone shows a performance that falls short of expectations.
Reviewers from Pcmag have found the following[***]:
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip ($1,380) is the first folding-screen smartphone that incontrovertibly works. The phone is a solid, almost exactly square glass-over-plastic sandwich when closed. The profit is in a new L-shaped mode that's great for sitting the phone on top of things and taking photos.
Reviewers from Phonearena have found the following[***]:
The Samsung is one of the few phones I've been truly excited to review. It's super cool holding a piece of the future, and it's refreshing to review a phone so different from anything I've ever tested. On the other, the Galaxy Z Flip is too expensive for a phone with questionable long-term durability and last year's specs.
Reviewers from Techadvisor have found the following[***]:
The Galaxy Z Flip is one of the best phones out there right now. The phone is 167mm tall when unfolded, but when closed it's just 87x73mm. One of the Z Flip's best features is a 1.1in display built into the outside of the phone. When closed this will display the time, date, and battery level, along with basic notification icons and even simple music player controls. The AMOLED display looks pretty good, despite the plasticky sheen, though with 60Hz refresh rate and colour range that never stunning.
Reviewers from Techradar have found the following[***]:
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip has a 6.7-inch Full HD+ screen and unique 21.9:9 aspect ratio. Its candybar-style shape makes this take on the idea of a foldable phone distinct compared to the mini-tablet-like Galaxy Fold. The Z Flip gets a lot of things right that Motorola got wrong, including stuffing in a bigger battery and thin glass – not plastic – to protect the inner display.
Reviewers from Theverge have found the following[***]:
After five days of using it, I found myself just thinking the Z Flip was kind of normal. It's an important step for folding phones, but there are many more steps to take before I could recommend one. The best folding phone is still too fragile and too overpriced, so “best” in this category doesn't really count as a win.
Reviewers from Tomsguide have found the following[***]:
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip can fit in your pocket when it's closed. Samsung has turned to a full-HD+ display with a resolution of 2636 x 1080 pixels. A 10MP front camera peeks out of you from a punch-hole cutout in the center of the phone.
Reviewers from Trustedreviews have found the following[***]:
The Galaxy Z Flip is a purple folding flip phone that looks like a coaster or a compact mirror when closed. It acts pretty much like a regular smartphone when opened. Samsung stepped up the manufacturing quality for the Z Flip, adding a very thin layer of glass into the construction of the folding screen. There is more resistance than you'd find on a flip phone from the mid-2000s, and it's quite fiddly to open it one-handed.
- 1. ^ Galaxy Z Flip review: Samsung's killer feature makes this flip phone shine. Cnet. 2020-02-21. Retrieved 2021-03-07.
- 2. ^ Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5G review: What the Galaxy Z Flip 3 needs to improve. Laptopmag. 2021-07-03. Retrieved 2021-07-06.
- 3. ^ Samsung Galaxy Z Flip review: bending it best. Nextpit. 2020-07-02. Retrieved 2021-03-07.
- 4. ^ Samsung Galaxy Z Flip review - The better foldable smartphone. Notebookcheck. 2020-03-24. Retrieved 2021-03-07.
- 5. ^ Samsung Galaxy Z Flip Review. Pcmag. 2020-02-19. Retrieved 2021-03-07.
- 6. ^ Samsung Galaxy Z Flip Review. Phonearena. 2020-03-12. Retrieved 2021-03-07.
- 7. ^ Samsung Galaxy Z Flip review. Techadvisor. 2020-06-04. Retrieved 2021-03-07.
- 8. ^ Samsung Galaxy Z Flip review. Techradar. 2020-12-16. Retrieved 2021-03-07.
- 9. ^ Samsung Galaxy Z Flip review: temper your expectations. Theverge. 2020-02-21. Retrieved 2021-03-07.
- 10. ^ Samsung Galaxy Z Flip review. Tomsguide. 2021-02-01. Retrieved 2021-03-07.
- 11. ^ Samsung Galaxy Z Flip Review. Trustedreviews. 2020-07-22. Retrieved 2021-03-07.
- *. Neoscore is our sentiment analyzer based on natural language processing (NLP). Scaled in the range of 0 to 100, Neoscore eliminates scoring biases from each publisher; it likely differs from the publisher's own rating, if available, as a result.
- **. Neoanalyzer is our summarizer based on NLP. It identifies key takeaways from each third-party review. The takeaways that it produces likely differ from the publisher's own bullets points, if available, as a result.
- ***. Neosummarizer is based on NLP. It extracts summaries from third-party reviews. It likely that these summaries differ from the publisher's own, if available.