Lenovo ThinkPad T490 Review Rundown
The Lenovo ThinkPad T490 is one of the most important ThinkPad models. It is the newest model in the long line of classic 14-inch business laptops. The keyboard is practically identical to those used in the Think Pad T480 and T480s.
This rundown provides our analysis on 8 third-party reviews. The sentiment scores, summaries, and key takeaways that we select are based on these reviews and may differ from the original publication.
Price Comparison (incl. referral links)
Reviewers from Digitaltrends have found the following[***]:
The Lenovo ThinkPad T490 is a boring laptop. It's black on black, with only a few red accents breaking up the monochromatic color scheme. Battery life in laptops keeps getting better, and the T490 has kept up. The Full HD display in my review unit is flat-out disappointing for a premium laptop.
The Lenovo ThinkPad T490 is one of the most important ThinkPad models. It is the newest model in the long line of classic 14-inch business laptops. The keyboard is practically identical to those used in the Think Pad T480 and T480s. The mechanical dock with the best equipment is the ThinkPad CS18 Ultra Dock.
The Lenovo ThinkPad T490 is currently one of the best business laptops on the market. Our review unit has a 256 GB drive compared to the 512 GB one in the previous device that we tested. The Intel UHD Graphics 620 in our review unit is only powerful enough for light tasks like videostreaming and games.
Running Prime95 causes the CPU to spike to 4.2 GHz for just a couple of seconds before falling to 3.5 GHz and at a core temperature of 97 C. After about 20 seconds, performance drops even further before stabilizing at 3 GHz and 90 C. Running both Prime95 and FurMark simultaneously will throttle the CPU down to 1.3 GHz with periodic dips to just 400 MHz. Running on battery power will not limit performance.
The ThinkPad T490 has a 1080p display, but Lenovo also offers a higher resolution WQHD display. For that, you get more pixels, an even more powerful background illumination, and complete coverage of the AdobeRGB color space. However, there is also a large disadvantage compared to the other panel, since it is very reflective. Outdoors or with light sources, the glossy surface leads to strong reflections.
Reviewers from Pcmag have found the following[***]:
Lenovo's ThinkPad T490 is a premium 14-inch notebook aimed at business buyers. It maintains the classic matte-black-slab styling that has become so familiar over the years. The T490 delivers longer battery life than the T480 did when equipped with the latter's standard dual 24 watt-hour battery setup.
- 1. ^ Lenovo ThinkPad T490 review: A classic workhorse. Digitaltrends. 27 November 2019. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 2. ^ Lenovo ThinkPad T490 (i7, MX250, Low Power FHD) Laptop Review. Notebookcheck. 22 May 2019. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 3. ^ Lenovo ThinkPad T490 Laptop Review: A business laptop with long battery life and an iGPU. Notebookcheck. 20 June 2019. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 4. ^ Lenovo ThinkPad T490 Laptop Review: The Comet Lake-U Update. Notebookcheck. 06 March 2020. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 5. ^ Lenovo ThinkPad T490 Review: The WQHD HDR panel convinces in the test, but makes only limited sense in an office laptop. Notebookcheck. 13 September 2019. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 6. ^ Lenovo ThinkPad T490 Review. Pcmag. 30 May 2019. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- *. Neoscore is our sentiment analyzer based on natural language processing (NLP). Scaled in the range of 0 to 100, Neoscore eliminates scoring biases from each publisher; it likely differs from the publisher's own rating, if available, as a result.
- **. Neoanalyzer is our summarizer based on NLP. It identifies key takeaways from each third-party review. The takeaways that it produces likely differ from the publisher's own bullets points, if available, as a result.
- ***. Neosummarizer is based on NLP. It extracts summaries from third-party reviews. It likely that these summaries differ from the publisher's own, if available.