Bentley Bentayga Review Rundown
The Bentayga range consists of the Bentayga Hybrid, Bentayga V8, and V8 Design Series, and the range-topping, go-faster Bentayga Speed. The plug-in hybrid shares its basic powertrain with the Porsche Cayenne E-Hybrid.
This rundown provides our analysis on 8 third-party reviews. The sentiment scores, summaries, and key takeaways that we select are based on these reviews and may differ from the original publication.
Find Related Products (incl. referral links)
Bentley has gone bold with its first ever SUV. The Bentayga promises to raise the bar for upmarket off-roaders. It shares a fair chunk of its underpinnings with the current Audi Q7 SUV, as Audi is one of Bentley's sister companies in the VW Group. The engines are assembled at Crewe, the bodies completed and the peerlessly-crafted leather and wood interiors are stitched, sawn and polished.
Opulent, ostentatious and surprisingly fun to drive. Using the same 4.0-litre twin-turbo petrol engine as the Porsche Cayenne Turbo, it sprints from 0-62mph four tenths slower than its German sibling. The eight-speed ZF gearbox is as silky smooth as ever, yet it'll fire off changes as quickly as the best dual-clutch transmissions.
More than half of Bentley's sales are made up of Bentaygas. It was inevitable the brand's first SUV would be in line for the Speed treatment. 6.0-litre W12 engine churns out 626bhp and 900Nm of torque. Can slingshot the Bentayga Speed from 0-62mph in 3.9 seconds and carry on until it hits 190mph.
The Bentayga SUV has been brought more into line with the family look. The front, which gains higher-set headlights and a larger, more upright grille, is still best described as imposing. The only engine available at launch is the 4.0-litre twin-turbocharged V8, which is essentially unaltered from before.
The new Bentayga Hybrid is the first production hybrid Bentley in history. It has a 3.0-litre single-turbo V6 good for 335bhp, and a 126bhp e-motor. The battery can be fast-charged in 2.5 hours, and claims a range of 16 miles (EPA) on pure electric power.
Bentley sold 5600 Bentaygas in 2016, which was way over target. Even gregarious soccer moms are better off with the standard five-seater. Don't let the £135k tag fool you. Our fully equipped test car listed at over £187k.
The Bentley Bentayga is the first in a new category of super-lux SUVs. It will counter-punch Range Rover's established credentials and off-road prowess. Forthcoming rivals include the Lamborghini Urus and the Rolls-Royce SUV. But for the moment Bentley has this edge of the motoring world to itself.
Reviewers from Cnet have found the following[***]:
The 2020 Bentley Bentayga Hybrid starts at $156,900. It's the least-expensive way to get a car with a Flying B on its nose. It has 99 horsepower and 52 pound-feet of torque, but it's quite a bit slower than the V8. It can be recharged from a Level 2 outlet in 2.5 hours.
Reviewers from Digitaltrends have found the following[***]:
The 2020 Bentley Bentayga Hybrid is the first production Bentley with electric assist of any kind. It points the way for Bentley's other models, which will all get hybrid powertrains by 2023. The SUV can drive up to 16 miles on electric power alone, at speeds up to 84 mph, with an EPA efficiency rating of 50 MPGe.
- 1. ^ Bentley Bentayga review. Autoexpress. 25 June 2020. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 2. ^ New Bentley Bentayga V8 2018 review. Autoexpress. 15 October 2018. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 3. ^ New Bentley Bentayga Speed 2019 review. Autoexpress. 29 May 2019. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 4. ^ New Bentley Bentayga 2020 review. Autoexpress. 10 August 2020. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 5. ^ Bentley Bentayga Hybrid review: we test first plug-in Bentley. Carmagazine. 02 March 2020. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 6. ^ Bentley Bentayga diesel review: a week with the luxury SUV. Carmagazine. 26 October 2018. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 7. ^ Bentley Bentayga W12 (2016) review. Carmagazine. 08 December 2015. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 8. ^ 2020 Bentley Bentayga Hybrid first drive review: One posh plug-in. Cnet. 02 July 2019. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- 9. ^ 2020 Bentley Bentayga Hybrid first drive review. Digitaltrends. 03 July 2019. Retrieved 07 March 2021.
- *. Neoscore is our sentiment analyzer based on natural language processing (NLP). Scaled in the range of 0 to 100, Neoscore eliminates scoring biases from each publisher; it likely differs from the publisher's own rating, if available, as a result.
- **. Neoanalyzer is our summarizer based on NLP. It identifies key takeaways from each third-party review. The takeaways that it produces likely differ from the publisher's own bullets points, if available, as a result.
- ***. Neosummarizer is based on NLP. It extracts summaries from third-party reviews. It likely that these summaries differ from the publisher's own, if available.