Canon 90D Review Rundown
Canon | Published on 20 Mar 2021 | Last Edited on 24 Apr 2021 | Written by Dr Jiulin Teng w/ Neosummarizer
The $1,200 Canon EOS 90D is the embodiment of Canon's promise that DSLRs will remain relevant in the mirrorless era. It shoots a bit faster than the 80D—up to 10fps in AI Servo continuous focus using the optical viewfinder and 11fps with Live View. The 90D marks the debut of the first new APS-C Canon image sensor since the 24MP chip that powers models like the T6i and 80D.
This rundown provides our analysis on 8 third-party reviews. The sentiment scores, summaries, and key takeaways that we select are based on these reviews and may differ from the original publication.
Price Comparison (incl. referral links)
Reviewers from Digitaltrends have found the following[***]:
The $1,200 Canon EOS 90D is the embodiment of Canon's promise that DSLRs will remain relevant in the mirrorless era. While the best mirrorless cameras outclass most DSLRs when it comes to continuous shooting speed, 10 fps is anything but slow. In live view the 90D almost feels like a mirrorless camera, if you can ignore the heft of the it.
Reviewers from Expertreviews have found the following[***]:
The EOS 90D is Canon's latest crop-frame camera for those looking to upgrade to something more capable than its entry-level DSLRs. It offers 10fps continuous shooting, un-cropped 4K video shooting, and the highest-resolution stills images of any APS-C camera on the market today. Built from more rugged materials than the 90D – magnesium alloy rather than plastic – and offering a better AF system – 65 cross-type points rather than 45.
Reviewers from Pcmag have found the following[***]:
Canon's new EOS 90D is an attractive camera for customers happy with the features and feel of the 80D and earlier models. The camera uses the same LP-E6N as many, many other Canon SLRs. It supports face detection in the optical viewfinder, and subject recognition using Canon's iTR focus system.
Reviewers from Rtings have found the following[***]:
The Canon EOS 90D is a versatile APS-C DSLR camera. It takes sharp, clear images with a relatively high dynamic range and little noise. It's comfortable to operate and has a well-laid-out menu system that's easy to navigate. Unfortunately, it's quite bulky and does poorly smoothing out camera shake while recording.
Reviewers from Techradar have found the following[***]:
Canon EOS 90D is perhaps the last enthusiast-level DSLR the company will ever make. Launched alongside the Canon EOS M6 Mark II, the 90D plays the traditional strengths of DSLRs – good handling, long battery life, optical viewfinder – but adds some pretty cutting-edge specs. This includes a new sensor that brings a lot more megapixels than the 80D (32.5MP, compared to 24.2MP) The Digic 8 processor also ups the ante when it comes to maximum burst speed and native ISO range.
Reviewers from Tomsguide have found the following[***]:
The Canon EOS 90D has a new, 32-megapixel APS-C sensor. It's one of the best DSLR cameras for advanced amateurs, especially those who want to shoot video. The camera's 45-point phase-detect AF system is similar to that of the 80D and is relatively good.
Reviewers from Trustedreviews have found the following[***]:
Canon 90D is a good all-rounder, capable of serving the enthusiast photographer who likes to take lots of different kinds of shots. Features a high-resolution 32.5 megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor alongside a raft of enticing features. Focusing comes courtesy of the same 45-point cross-type AF system that was found in the 80D, but it is now joined by an improved metering sensor which gives you face detection.
- 1. ^ Canon EOS 90D review: Keeping the DSLR relevant. Digitaltrends. 2019-10-31. Retrieved 2021-03-07.
- 2. ^ Canon EOS 90D review: A great all-rounder. Expertreviews. 2019-10-31. Retrieved 2021-03-07.
- 3. ^ Canon EOS 90D Review. Pcmag. 2019-11-12. Retrieved 2021-03-07.
- 4. ^ Canon EOS 90D Camera Review. Rtings. 2021-03-09. Retrieved 2021-04-24.
- 5. ^ Canon EOS 90D review. Techradar. 2019-11-20. Retrieved 2021-03-07.
- 6. ^ Canon EOS 90D review. Tomsguide. 2019-12-11. Retrieved 2021-03-07.
- 7. ^ Canon EOS 90D Review. Trustedreviews. 2019-10-11. Retrieved 2021-03-07.
- *. Neoscore is our sentiment analyzer based on natural language processing (NLP). Scaled in the range of 0 to 100, Neoscore eliminates scoring biases from each publisher; it likely differs from the publisher's own rating, if available, as a result.
- **. Neoanalyzer is our summarizer based on NLP. It identifies key takeaways from each third-party review. The takeaways that it produces likely differ from the publisher's own bullets points, if available, as a result.
- ***. Neosummarizer is based on NLP. It extracts summaries from third-party reviews. It likely that these summaries differ from the publisher's own, if available.